James B. Macomson, DDS, MSO, PA
Dr. Macomson is a board-certified orthodontist who has provided orthodontic care in Gastonia, North Carolina, for over 25 years. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Life Sciences at North Carolina State University before earning his Master of Science degree in Public Health at the University of North Carolina. Dr. Macomson then began to study dentistry, earning a DDS degree as well as a Master’s Degree in Orthodontics at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry. He has also studied at Oxford University in England.
He was one of the highest six graduating dental students at UNC as well as a member of the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honorary Society. He also received the International College of Dentists Achievement Award and the American Society of Dentistry for Children Award.
Additionally, Dr. Macomson holds memberships in numerous professional organizations, including the following:
- ADA—American Dental Association
- NCDS—North Carolina Dental Society
- GCDS—Gaston County Dental Society
- AAO—American Association of Orthodontists
- SSO—Southern Society of Orthodontists
- NCAO—North Carolina Association of Orthodontists
- ABO—America Board of Orthodontics
- Spear Study Group—Southern Articulators
- Catawba Study Club
- Patient/Doctor Mediator – North Carolina Dental Society
Dr. Macomson has not only practiced dentistry in the past, but he also gained experience teaching it. He was a former staff dentist at the Murdoch Center in Butner, NC, and a former clinical instructor at the UNC School of Dentistry. He also worked part-time at a private dental practice in Chapel Hill.
Dr. Macomson serves others with orthodontic care and his involvement in many community organizations. He participates in the following:
- First United Methodist Church member and lay leader
- Gastonia Rotary Club
- Gaston Hospice
- Caromont Medical Center former hospital/E.R. staff
- Schiele Museum Supporter
- Highland School of Technology dental advisor
- Gaston Family Health Services volunteer
- MOM (Mission of Mercy) dental services volunteer
- Cancer Services of Gaston County supporter
In his spare time, Dr. Macomson enjoys traveling, golfing, volunteering, and studying WWII history. He loves to spend time with his two children and three grandchildren.
He is also the bestselling author of “Christmas Renaissance: Stories of Grace, Belief and Spirit.”