Is your oral health care at the levels you desire in your smile? If you are looking to improve your smile, consider the benefits of orthodontic braces. The key to effective orthodontic care with braces including caring for your braces with the same level of attention as you have your teeth and gums.
Here are some things you should know about caring for your braces:
– Sports and other outdoor activities are a leading source of oral accidents in patients, so it is essential to always protect your teeth at all times by wearing mouth guards, facemasks, or headgear, if applicable.
– If a wire or bracket should come loose on your braces, minimize the risk by covering the loose end with a dental wax and setting up a visit with your orthodontist as soon as possible.
– To ensure your braces will continue to function as required, some food restrictions may be essential. In many cases, avoid sticky and chewy foods that can get trapped between your braces and teeth.
– Try to attend cleanings and exams with your orthodontist.
– Never take time off from cleaning your retainer, but instead, try to focus on a routine of weekly cleaning.
– Keeping your braces clean and clear of debris requires oral health care, including brushing and flossing daily. If you cannot floss with ordinary floss, use alternatives such as water flossers.
If you need additional treatment for your braces, Dr. James B. Macomson and our team at James B. Macomson, DDS, MSO, PA will help you with your oral health care in any way we can. If you would like to schedule a visit to our orthodontic office in Gastonia, North Carolina, please call us at 704-867-3667. Your smile deserves the very best of care, and we can offer it!