It is important to keep your teeth clean if you have orthodontic braces. The addition of braces in your mouth can increase tooth decay if you do not continue to care for your teeth and gums. It is extremely easy for food particles to get lodged in the areas between your braces and teeth, so you must give additional care to your daily oral hygiene habits. Here are some of the things you should do to keep your smile bright:
- Brush your gumline at a 45-degree angle. Also be sure to brush all your teeth at the gumline and above and below the braces.
- Continue brushing your teeth twice a day, Also floss your teeth daily to prevent plaque buildup between hard to reach areas. Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Do not miss your regularly scheduled appointments with our orthodontist.
- Make sure to keep up the habit of attending your professional cleanings and oral exams with your dentist.
- Always rinse your mouth with water before brushing. This can loosen any debris that has gotten stuck in your braces.
- Be sure to clean your retainer once a week.
Our orthodontist at James B. Macomson, DDS, MSO, PA in Gastonia, North Carolina can craft you a customized plan to determine which orthodontics treatments work best for your needs. If you would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. James B. Macomson, please call us at 704-867-3667 to speak with a member of our team. We hope to see you soon!